Yes, I have been on really long break. In this break , I had moved my home twice and had two babies. PHEW! Needless to say , I hardly got time to blog. Right now , while I am typing for this post, my younger one is climbing over me. Ha! Joy of motherhood!. Life really do change after having kids. My interest in cooking has got a surprise twist. Lately I have been making lot of desserts. Got into baking tooo! I have bundle of recipes to share with you all. But I have a promise to myself and blog to post a recipe each week. Right now , I feel that is a lot of commitment. So here is red velvet cupcakes with buttercream frosting, which I learned from first ever baking class. It is an eggless recipe and uses beetroot too.
Please overlook the not so good pictures and I took pictures in late evening with minimal light.
Serves 12-14 cupcakes
1 cup cake flour*
1/2 cup beetroot puree
3 tsp cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp vinegar
1/3 cup oil or unsalted butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
11/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
blood red food colour(optional)
- Pressure cook or microwave beets till soft and puree it with the help of 2 tbsp water to smooth paste. I pressure cooked them for 6-7 whitsles without water in a container.
- To make cake flour, measure a cup of maida or white wheat flour and remove 2 tbsp of white wheat flour from it and add 2 tbsp of corn flour to it. Use it as cake flour.
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg c
- Sieve all the dry ingredients, cake flour, baking powder and cocoa powder
- In a bowl, mix milk and vinegar and allow it to sit for 5 minutes to buttermilk.
- In a big mixing bowl, add sugar and oil. Mix well till sugar completely dissolves.
- Add salt and beet puree, vanilla extract and mix well
- With the help of spatula, fold dry ingredients in wet mixture. Little at a time and gently fold till no lumps are seen.
- Line cup cake tin with liner.
- Pour the batter in equal quantities till 2/3rd of cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Please use a skewer or toothprick to test the cupcake.
- Please bake your cupcakes in lower or middle rack.
- Use butter for richness or any flavourless oil will do.
- Use all your ingredients at room temperature.
For butter cream frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2-3 tsp milk cream(full fat)
1/4 tsp salt
- Cream the butter until smooth with hand blender. It takes about 8-10 minutes
- Then add sugar in three parts, mixing each time with blender till smooth and fluffy. Add a tbsp of cream each time.
- It took around 15-20 minutes to get the peaks for perfect frosting.
- Fill your piping bag with nozzle and make your beautiful cupcakes.
- For readers who are new to baking and frosting, this recipe is good to start with.
- When using blender for frosting, look for soft peaks which does not fall off when moved. Once you get this, stop the blender.
- Use cream to loosen the frosting but it is falling off your spatula, please add little icing sugar to make it a bit tight.
- If you think it is getting loose while piping, please rest the piping bag in refrigerator for few minutes and use it.
- Icing and frosting is fun so if you dont get it right at first, dont loose your heart. Just spoon the cupcakes with frosting and have a bite. It is going to taste same. Try next time.
If you have a different version of red velvet cupcake recipe, please leave a note. I would love to try your recipe!