Sometimes, I feel days are not moving and there are times when I do not find time to read daily newspaper!
This one is another healthy dish that would define my roots. It has been my favourite from long time. I love ginger chutney- Allam chutney! It goes well with idli or dosas. But it is particularly served with moongdal dosa or Pessurattu (in telugu) for the reason you will know only when you eat it. It is another great breakfast for pregnancy diet. Simple , tasty and healthy! Pregnant or no pregnant, try this great south -indian breakfast and you will make it a regular on your menu.
For pancakes or pessurattu
2 cups green mung bean or moongdal with skin (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup rice (washed)
2 green chilies
1 tsp cumin or jeera
1/2 inch ginger
handful of coriander leaves
oil for greasing
For ginger chutney
11/2 inch ginger piece (roughly chopped)
3 tbsp chanadal
2 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin
2 red chilies
11/2 tbsp jaggery
1 big lemon sized tamarind ball (soak in warm water)
3 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
For green moongdal dosas
- Soak green moong bean or moongdal overnight.
- Make sure you make this batter just before making dosas or pancakes. Blend moongdal, rice, chilies, salt, ginger and cumin coarsely. Do not make it mushy and smooth paste like. It should be coarse for crispy dosa.
- Heat a flat non-stick griddle (the one you use for dosas). Grease it with oil and spread it like pancakes or dosas with a flat laddle. The griddle should not be too hot else dosas will stick instantly. Trick is to spread batter on low heat and then cook it on high heat.
- Moongdal batter has different consistency than regular dosa batter. So this may need little practice for spreading evenly through out.
- You can use some finely chopped onion and spread it over it. Fold it at the centre. Cook it for 30 seconds and serve hot with chutney.
For ginger or allam chutney
- Soak tamarind in warm water.
- Heat a small flat pan on medium flame. Dry roast chanadal, uraddal, coriander seeds, cumin and red dry chillies one by one. Allow them to cool down. Note : You can roast all these ingredients and store in air tight container few days before.
- In same pan, add few drops of oil. Roast green chilies and garlic and keep it aside.
- Make pulp of tamarind with your hand.
- Now blend all roasted ingredients along ginger,salt ,jaggery and tamarind pulp to a smooth paste with the help of water. (you will need atleast half cup of water) Note: Ginger is pungent and must use according to the taste.
- This chutney has pungent flavour of ginger so make sure you use tamarind and jaggery generously.
- Add tempering if you like.