In kitchen, baking is not my strength and neither I have a sweet tooth. And nature plays it again, opposite attracts! Yes,It is for Mr.V. I sometimes call him Mr. sweet-tooth!
This cake can be made in a loaf tin too. This is my kind of recipe. No butter and pretty easy too! I found this recipe here. I used some melted dark chocolate. If you want to bake an healthy cake, this is for you. It remains moist and freezes well too.
Adapted from eggless marbled banana bread.
11/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup semi ripe bananas or 2 medium sized bananas
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup milk or almond milk for vegan (room temperature)
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
few drops of vanilla essence
3 tbsp cocoa powder
6 tbsp boiling water (separated)
2 tbsp melted dark chocolate + more for serving
- Preheat your oven at 180 deg c.
- Prepare a 8 by 8 inch square baking tin and line it with parchment paper. Grease it with oil lightly.
- In a big mixing bowl, add sugar, milk, vanilla,olive oil and sliced bananas. Along with mashing up the bananas, mix this mixture well. You don’t have to make it a paste like mixture.
- In separate bowl, sift whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt. Give it a mix.
- Add whole wheat dry mixture to wet banana mixture and just fold in. Fold in just until it is mixed. Do not overdo with mixing.
- Divide the batter into two parts in separate bowls.
- In 3 tbsp boiling water, add cocoa powder and mix well. Put this cocoa mixture in one part of batter. Add 2 tbsp melted chocolate in it.Fold in.
- Now you have two batters ,chocolate and banana. Take a dollop of any one of the batter and put in the prepared tin. Then put a dollop of another batter. Arrange the entire batter alternatively into cake tin to give marble effect.
- Now take a tooth pick and swirl it into the batter as if you are playing in it, but gently. This will give swirl effect. Gently tap the cake tin on kitchen floor so that everything is evenly settled.
- Bake it in preheated oven at 180 deg c for 35 to 40 minutes. Use a toothpick to check whether your cake is done or not.
- Let the cake cool off completely and then remove parchment paper. Pour some melted chocolate over it and serve it.
Once wet and dry ingredients are mixed, you have to work quickly on making chocolate batter and putting it into cake tin. Don’t leave prepared batter outside oven for long time.