For a change, while writing this post, there is sun peeking through my window and I am enjoying it! After days of clouds but no-rain saga, sun is like a first gift on my first birthday! Wondering what great things sun can do my mood!
Au Gratin is popular french culinary technique which mainly uses cheese, bread crumbs, butter and sometimes egg. Such dishes often have brown crust which is obtained by broiling or grilling cheese and bread crumbs on the top of the dish. Au gratin dishes are prepared and served in deep oval baking dish. Most common and popular Au Gratin dish is that of potatoes. But it is prepared with many ingredients from vegetables to sea food.
This corn and spinach Au Gratin is baked in Bechamel or White sauce. I have not used bread crumbs and used lesser amount of cheese. I have replaced olive oil with butter. It is lighter on tummy and still tastes great!
Serves 2 persons
1 cup roughly chopped spinach
1 cup sweet corn kernels(cooked or boiled)
7-9 garlic pods(chopped)
less than 1/2 cup grated cheese
1 tsp olive oil
For Bechamel sauce (white sauce)
1 cup milk
21/2 tbsp flour (maida)
1 tbsp olive oil
- For bechamel sauce, mix flour and milk making sure there are no lumps.
- Heat a sauce pan, heat oil and add milk and flour mixture. Stir in continously for next 2-3 minutes till it is thick. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Put off the heat.
For Au Gratin
- Preheat oven to 200 deg c.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and saute it for a minute. Add spinach. Cook it for a minute or two.
- Now add corn kernels , salt and pepper. Be careful with salt. Cheese and sauce has salt too. After 2 minutes, put off the heat.
- In deep baking dish, put corn-spinach mixture. Pour in the white sauce. Add bread crumbs if your are using. (I did not use bread crumbs) Bake it for 8 minutes. You will see the bubbling of sauce along the sides.
- After 8 minutes, remove the dish and top it with grated cheese. And bake along with grilling for next 7 minutes.(This will brown the top layer)
- Allow the dish to stand for 5-7 minutes. Serve it really hot!
- Every oven will have different baking time depending on its size and capacity. If the cheese has not become brown, bake it for 2 minutes more.
- You can bake it microwave too. You will not get the brown top on the dish but it will still taste same.