During childhood and growing up years, I underestimated humble besan(chickpea flour). It is integral part of indian cuisine. Nothing beats onions pakoras with a cup of hot tea! Now, I have great deal of respect for nutritional benefits of besan. (No, I am not going to tell the benefits, go google it!)
This gluten free ,vegan breakfast is quick and wholesome. It is comparatively high in protein too. Just don’t forget to have enough water as you may feel more thirsty after having it.
Serves 4 chillas or pancakes
1 cup besan or chickpea flour
1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional)
2-3 green chilly (grind it to paste)
1 tomato (finely chopped)
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp carom seeds or ajwain
1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
water to make batter
Oil for greasing
- Combine all the ingredients except water in a bowl. Now slowly add water ,little water at a time. Mix well so that there are no lumps in the batter. The batter should be thinner than dosa batter or batter of white flour pancakes.
- Heat an iron skillet or non-stick pan. Grease it with few drops of oil or butter.
- Pour half a cup of batter at the centre and spread evenly to form almost round pancake. Cook on medium heat. Flip over and cook the other side.
- Be sure to cook the pancake completely and at the same time don’t overcook it.
- You can stuff it with paneer ,cheese or tofu to make healthier and filling.
- Serve it hot with green chutney or a cup of plain yogurt.