After not so brief hiatus, I am back with this humble spiced plum jam. It has been crazy lately. My household goods arrived a week late. I would have moved into tears if I would have seen my oven even a day late! After going through crazy instances in new city, Bangalore, this is humble attempt of getting refreshing food on my plate.
This new city is actually driving me crazy as I still miss my previous city, Pune ! I miss the shine and calmness of Pune when compared to dull and smoky Bangalore. Oh god, I feel like a kid who is sent to zombieland! I have finally come to conclusion that I am not feeling home-sick, it is just Pune-sickness!
Why you should make your own jam?
- It will give control over amount of sugar goes in the recipe.
- It will obviously save you some money!
- No preservatives or pectin! Isn’t it awesome!
This spiced plum jam is not as sweet as the jam you get in market. It is just sweet enough and has amazing flavour of spices. Go ahead and add some sugar if you want it sweet. This recipe is pretty easy and storable. I would happily compare it with a gujarati dish ‘Murabba’. It goes well with toast, oats porridge and parathas.
Makes 11/2 cup of jam
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time 15-20 minutes
500gm semi-ripe to ripe plum (pitted and chopped)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp black pepper powder
1/2 tsp salt
juice of half lemon or 11/2 tsp lemon juice
- Deseed plums and chop them roughly.
- In a deep pan, add plums,sugar, salt, lemon juice and all spices.
- Simmer it on medium to high heat for 10 minutes.Add 1/2 tsp butter to avoid bubbling.
- Now stir continuously so that it does not stick to the pan. When it reduces to consistency of jam ,put off the heat.
- Allow the jam to cool down completely and store it in dry air-tight jar.