After trying my hand at baking (only my favorite cakes), it is safe to say that I can bake my cake and eat it too!
This cake has lovely coffee flavor with chocolate and almonds. With almonds, it actually don’t need any frosting. If you are keen on frosting, add almonds in cake batter at the end and then bake. You can use a nice coffee frosting!
Adapted from the book Baking without eggs by Rosemarie Emro
Serves 8 pieces
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour (maida)
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter or margarine
2/3 cup strong coffee (1 tbsp of espresso or 11/2 tbsp instant coffee powder)
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped or crushed almonds
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven at 170 deg C or 325 deg F. Lightly grease the 8 inch round cake tin with butter or oil. Arrange butter paper or cake sheet in the tin. Grease the sheet with butter. Dust the flour and tap out excess flour.
- Line almonds in the bottom of prepared cake tin and press it.
- For making coffee, heat 2/3 cup of water. Bring it to boil and add 11/2 tbsp strong instant coffee powder. Stir and put off the heat. If you are using espresso powder, use only 1 tbsp.
- Take a medium size sauce pan, add warm coffee, margarine or butter and chocolate chips. On medium heat, stir in constantly till chocolate chips are melted. Put off the heat and add sugar and almond extract. Mix it. Allow this coffee mixture to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour and baking soda and mix it. Slowly add warm coffee mixture and fold into the flour. Mix it till you get smooth mixture. Add vinegar and vanilla essence. Mix it.
- Pour the cake mixture over almonds and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10-15 minutes and then unmold it and dust some icing or confectioners’ sugar.
Use good quality and strong and dark coffee powder.