Chocolate cake is one dessert which gives me temporary sweet tooth else I dig only for savories!
This chocolate cake is strictly for chocolate lovers! It is moist, very chocolaty and freezes well! It is slightly sticky and I would advice to use a well greased butter paper or cake sheet! It tastes best when served after refrigerating for 1-2 hours! Serve it with vanilla ice-cream and enjoy with your family and friends!
11/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup unflavored vegetable oil
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm coffee (11/2 tbsp instant coffee powder + 1 cup water)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice (I used lemon juice)
For rich chocolate glaze with dark chocolate
6 squares of dark chocolate (75 % cocoa or more)
2 tsp soy milk
2 tbsp sugar
For rich chocolate glaze with cocoa powder
4 tbsp butter or vegan butter substitute
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp soy milk
2 tbsp cocoa powder
Some icing sugar
- Prepare a 8 by 8 inch square cake tin by placing a cake sheet or butter paper. Grease the butter paper or cake sheet with little oil or butter. (Do not skip this step otherwise you are going to have a messy cake!)
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg c.
- For coffee, heat 1 cup water and add 11/2 tbsp instant coffee powder and heat till boiling point. Allow it to cool down till it is just warm.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Make a well at center. Add coffee, oil, vanilla extract,salt, lemon juice. Mix it to form smooth mixture. It should not take more than 4-5 minutes.
- Put the cake batter in prepared cake tin. Tap the cake tin on floor once or twice. Bake it for 30-35 minutes at 180 deg c.
- Insert a toothpick at center of the cake to check whether it is done. The toothpick should come out clean.
- After 15-20 minutes, unmold the cake on wire rack. Let it cool off completely.
- For glaze , put all the ingredients in pan and heat it with continuous stirring. This will take only 3-4 minutes. Put off the heat. Allow it to cool down.
- Pour the glaze over chocolate cake . Cut the cake into equal pieces and put it refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar or serve it with vanilla ice-cream or sprinkle some nuts on cake before serving.