Carrot halwa is quickest and most easy dessert I have ever known. Its popularity says it all! It certainly is tasty. I have got fixed measurements of sugar ,carrot and milk , thanks to my Mum!
I have simple way of preparing carrot halwa. I don’t use khoya or milk solids or milkmaid. I keep it as simple as possible! Many recipes call for cooking carrot only in milk or more milk. But to store halwa in refrigerator for 4-5 days, I suggest to use milk as less as possible. To make it vegan, use soy milk or almond milk.
Serves 4 person
4 cups grated carrot (red carrot)
3/4 to 1 cup sugar* (white granulated sugar or sugarfree)
1/4 cup skimmed milk
4-6 cardamom or 1 tsp cardamom powder
3 tbsp ghee
* Use 3/4 cup sugar for just enough sweetness or little more for medium sweetness. More than one 1 cup sugar will make it too sweet.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Fry cashew in it and keep aside. (Frying cashews is really optional, You can put as it is). Add grated carrot and saute it well. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lid and add sugar. Open the cardamom with fingers and just mix it. Close the lid and cook for next 6-7 minutes.
- Carrot should go soft and nice but it should not become mushy.
- Open the lid and add milk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Carrot should absorb milk and should almost become sticky. Put off the heat and add nuts for garnish. Serve it warm.