Radish has strong flavour. It is used in salads and in India, every part of this edible root is used in cooking. Its leaves are used in curries and root in used in sambar, side dishes and curries.
The ‘paratha’ (as called in hindi language) is a name given to a section of indian food which has two core ingredients. One is whole wheat flour and another can be any vegetable or lentil or paneer too. This description of paratha is in a broad sense. There can be variation in every possible way. Every kitchen has their own recipe of different parathas. And I have always believed that parathas are healthy (though it really depends on how you cook it)and best suitable for breakfast.
Previously in potato stuffed flat bread or aloo paratha , I stuffed a potato mixture into the dough and then rolled it out but in all green paratha I just mixed all the ingredients and then rolled out with rolling pin. These are two methods. With radish , I am going to follow second method. I have used both methods. Both ways, radish parathas were equally good. Here goes the recipe,
Serves 12 medium sized parathas
4 radish (grated)
1/2 cup mint leaves (optional)
11/2 tsp garlic paste, 11/2 tsp ginger paste
6-8 green chillies
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilly powder (use kashmiri chilly powder)
1 tbsp sugar
3 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp plain yogurt
11/2 tbsp oil + oil for greasing the griddle(tawa)
21/2 cups whole wheat flour
water to knead the dough
- Grate radish
- Make paste of green chillies by blending it with a pinch of salt and keep aside.
- In a pan , heat oil. Add cumin seeds, ginger paste, garlic paste. Mix it and add green chilly paste. Saute it for a minute.
- Add radish and mint leaves. Add corinder powder, chilly powder and salt. Mix well. Close the lid and allow it cook for next 1-2 minutes.
- Put off the heat and add lemon juice and sugar. Mix it. Allow this mixture to cool down.
- Take whole wheat flour. Add little salt (about 1/2 tsp) to the dough. Mix the radish mixture in it. Add yogurt and with the help of water ,prepare the dough. The dough should not be firm. I like to keep paratha dough a bit sticky and loose. Do not knead it more than 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough in 12 equal parts.
- Heat the griddle(tawa).
- With the help of wheat flour ,roll out each part of dough in even and flat paratha. Parathas should be thick enough. Grease the griddle with oil. Put paratha on griddle. Cook them on both sides on medium heat. You can serve it with 1/2 tsp of ghee on it.
Serve parathas hot with a cup of yogurt and pickle.
Try some other parathas!