Beetroot is a neglected vegetable in my kitchen. I sometimes cook beetroot in this way and treat it as a side dish! It is easy and super quick.
Serves 2 persons
4 small beetroots (cut in small pieces)
3-4 green chilies (cut in length wise)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garlic paste, 1/2 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp chat masala
2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
some chopped spring onions (shallots)
- Cook the chopped beetroot in 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp salt till it is soft but firm enough to take a bite.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add cumin seeds, green chillies, garlic paste, ginger paste and asafoetida. Mix well.
- Add beetroot and salt, coriander powder and chat masala. Mix it. Close the lid and allow it cook for around 2 minutes.
- Add freshly grated coconut. Mix it. Put off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and spring onions.
What is your favourite beetroot dish?