I am at my mum-dad’s place. It is making me nostalgic. I am going to spend some more time with mum and her kitchen. This recipe is straight from my mum’s kitchen. Amazingly tasty! I was just drooling over it. I could not get enough time to click pictures, but here is what I have got!
Serves 2 persons
1 cup paneer (cut into small pieces) (how to make paneer at home)
1 1/4 cup basmati rice
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup mint leaves
1 cup yogurt
Whole spices: 2 cinnamon, 4 cloves, 2 star anise, 1 bay leaf, 2 cardamom, 5-6 black peppercorns, 1 tbsp cumin seeds
11/2 tsp red chilly powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp garam masala
2 onions (sliced)
7-8 cashew nuts
11/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste.
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp ghee, 2 tbsp oil
- Wash basmati rice and soak it for 30 minutes.
- For marination, mix yogurt, salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garlic- ginger paste and lemon juice. Mix it. Add few mint leaves and paneer cubes. Allow it to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Take a deep non-stick vessel, add 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil. Add sliced onions and allow it to become brown and crisp. Keep them aside. Use it at the end for garnish.
- In same vessel , add remaining ghee and oil. Add cashew nuts and all whole spices. Add green peas. Add the marination. Allow it to cook till oil floats at the top. Add basmati rice and 2 cups of water. You can cook this complete mixture in rice cooker directly or allow it to cook on open fire with closed lid. You can use microwave for it. It will take around 9-11 minutes on high.
- Once the rice is cooked, allow it stand for 8-10 minutes to cook in its own steam.
- Add some fried brown onions.