Tomato and carrot soup has remained my favorite no matter how many fancy soups I have. It is perfect for any time of the day in winters. It is has mild flavour of spices! Serve it with garlic bread or grilled vegetables!
Serves 2 persons
5 ripe tomatoes (sliced or in any way)
2 carrots (cut in big chunks)
1 small onion (chopped)
1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick
7-8 mint leaves (optional)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black pepper powder
6-7 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tbsp ghee or butter
- Heat olive oil and butter in a deep vessel. Add bay leaf,cinnamon, cloves, garlic. Saute it for a minute on low heat. Add cumin seeds and onions. Let it cook for a minute. Add carrots and mint leaves. Add salt, pepper powder , chilly powder. Allow it cook for around 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sugar. Cook for around a minute. Add half cup of water and close the lid. Simmer for 6-7 minutes on medium heat.
- By now tomatoes and carrots will go soft. If not, allow it to cook for a minute more.
- Remove cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cloves.
- Take the mixture into blender and blend it finely. Strain it. (I didn’t feel need to strain) and bring it boil and serve hot.
Serve it with a teaspoon of fresh cream and cream is just optional. It tastes great with garlic bread!
Add light soy sauce. It tastes great.
You can use thickening agent like corn flour or rice flour for a thick soup. Mix a tbsp of corn flour with 3-4 tbsp water and add it to soup after you have strained it(at the end).Else, Carrot makes it a thick soup anyways.