Matheran trip was getting humiliating and sad till just when we saw a perfect lake and a lovely scenic view. The Charlotte lake was peaceful, still water was cold and very satisfying after walking for around 8 kms. This was the highlight of Matheran. We sat there for around 20 to 30 minutes.
When I sat near lake with peaceful and pleasant atmosphere, I just did not regret going to Matheran! It was all good and nice , looked like things coming back on track. It was time to go to next spot , just when I discovered that we had to walk 2 more kms to reach the market place from where we can go to sunset point at around 4:30 pm.
I went to room and slept for good one and half hour. I just felt like I was breathing again and was alive!
We walked 3 more kms to sunset point. Sunset point was also crowded but worth a visit. It was a beautiful view which should not be missed. I felt good, atleast not regretful! Walking back was tougher as it was dark. But we had company!
You won’t get fancy restaurants there, but decent fresh food is available. Choose carefully. We were super hungry. Whatever was on my plate, it got disappeared within no time. It was satisfying.
Next day looked better because I felt better. But we waited for hot water for over an hour! Mr. V looked pissed off! Finally we left room and yes, it was the time of horse ride! It was a joy ride! I felt like kid because I enjoyed only toy train and horse ride and yes, Charlotte lake too!
What am I taking back from this trip?
I was happy that there was increase in my fitness levels. Now, I could walk more effortlessly for long distances! Just stretch yourself after walking. It helps. All those yoga and walking worked! I discovered a fitter me , a healthier me!
Things to remember before taking a trip to Matheran:
- Matheran is a hill station only in the sense that it is located on hill otherwise there is hardly any difference in temperature. A plain t-shirt and regular sweater will do.
- Matheran is full of red mud. Do not put on best pair of clothes.
- Do not plan for Matheran if you have temporary or minor leg injuries. There is lots of walking unless you take a horse ride.
- Take a very good pair of walking shoes.
- There is nothing in the name of shopping. The shops mainly sell food and other basic necessities. And after all you have not gone there for shopping !
- Keep yourself hydrated so carry enough food and water.
- Don’t get duped in the name of hotel room reservation. Be wise and go to Matheran and take room after seeing it for yourself. Online reservation shows only costly hotels and fewer hotels. There are plenty of rooms!