We get paneer- indian cottage cheese everywhere but trust me when I say, home made paneer is the best one! I prepare paneer frequently from last 4 to 5 years.(finally I have clicked some pictures for paneer) I have followed the same method or recipe. I either use yogurt or lemon juice, depending on their availability. Step by step pictures are required here and here goes the recipe,
1.2 litres whole milk (full cream milk)
4 tbsp lemon juice or 3-4 tbsp yogurt.
A thin , white cotton or muslin cloth
A metal strainer
A heavy weight
- Bring the milk to boil. While boiling milk, add lemon juice or yogurt slowly with one hand while stirring the milk with other hand.
- Soon the milk will be curdled, the water will be separated and you will see milk solids. Now put off the heat.
- In a metal strainer, place white muslin or cotton cloth. Place the metal strainer in a vessel. Pour the curdled milk through the white cloth.
- For getting proper shape for paneer, tie the cloth tightly and place a heavy weight on it so that excess water drains out through cloth then through metal strainer. Keep this arrangement for 45 minutes to 1 hour.( If you are using cow’s milk then you have to keep it for 2-4 hrs)
- Remove the weight and cloth. You can refrigerate it directly or cut into small pieces and then refrigerate it. For keeping paneer soft, immerse the paneer pieces in water completely and then refrigerate it.
The colour of paneer will depend on colour of milk.
I use only white cloth for making paneer. It is risk to use colourful cloth (A lesson from past)
If you do not tie the paneer in cloth properly, the sides may not give proper shape hence may remain crumbly.