It’s winter which means lots of green vegetables in the market. Fenugreek leaves (methi) and spinach is found in abundance. I love all kinds of parathas but this one is my favourite travel snack. It can be carried for three days in winters. It does only good for you and your body. Have these parathas with either a cup pf tea or a cup of yogurt. Yummmmm… delicious is the word!
Makes 10 parathas
2 bowls(300gms) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour
3 cups fenugreek leaves
2 cups spinach(chopped)
1 cup coriander leaves
7-8 green chillies, 9 garlic cloves, 1 inch ginger (make paste)
1 cup yogurt (to make dough)
1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 tsp fennel seeds
11/2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masala
2 -3 tsp lemon juice
11/2 tbsp oil
- Prepare paste of green chilly,garlic and ginger with pinch of salt and keep aside.
- Take a pan and heat oil. Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Then add chilly-garlic-ginger paste. Saute for a minute. Add fenugreek leaves first. Saute for around 2 minutes. Then add spinach and coriander leaves. Add coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix and saute it for 2-3 minute. Put off the heat and mix lemon juice. Allow this (all green )mixture to cool down.
- Mix whole wheat flour and chickpea flour in vessel. Add all green mixture to dough and mix it. Now prepare the dough with the help of yogurt. Do not use water. Prepare a not so firm dough. Do not knead dough and do not allow the dough to rest
- Divide the dough in equal portions. Take each portion and roll out with the help of flour and rolling pin into flat and uniform paratha(flat bread). Heat the griddle(tawa) and grease with few drops of oil. Allow the paratha to cook on both sides. It will take 2 minutes on each sides.
- You can store these parathas in refrigerator for over a week. Just heat them before serving.
Serve with pickle and yogurt.
- These parathas are excellent as packed food for travelling.
- Serve as evening snack with tea.
- You can serve them for breakfast with yogurt.