Flax seeds are known for omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin e. And so they are in my good food list. They are good for skin and hair. Flax seeds sometimes(rarely) leaves slightly bitter taste on tongue. Balance it with sugar and lime juice. Try out this gravy with your favourite vegetables and enjoy!
Serves 4 persons
2 medium sized potatoes(cut into cubes)
2 green peppers( cut in big pieces)
1 tsp oil
1/2 to 3/4 Cup flax seeds
1 cup yogurt
2 tomatoes (make puree)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 inch ginger piece
8-9 garlic cloves
pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp lime juice
2 dry red chillies
1 tbsp oil.
Chopped coriander leaves
- Par boil potato pieces and stir fry green pepper in 1 tsp oil. Keep them aside
- For gravy, dry roast coriander and cumin seeds for 3-4 minutes on medium flame and then roast flax seeds for 5 minutes (till you start getting good aroma and smell).
- Grind roasted flax seeds,coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic ,ginger, salt, salt,garam masala to powder. (store this powder in refrigerator and add it to curries as required)
- Make fresh puree of 2 tomatoes.( cut tomato in pieces and grind it to paste)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, red chillies and asafoetida. Then add turmeric powder and red chilly powder. Mix it.(Take care of not burning the spices). Now put tomato puree and sugar. Cook tomato puree till rawness of tomato goes off. This will take around 3-5minutes.
- Now add ground flax seeds powder and 11/2 cups water. Bring to boil. (Stir continously, it may stick to pan) . Add salt. Cook it for 4-5 minutes. Now beat yogurt lightly and add it to the gravy. Mix nicely. Taste it. Add green peppers and potatoes. Cook for 1 more minute. Add lime juice and mix it. Put off the heat.
- Serve with rotis(indian flat bread) or steamed rice or jeera rice(cumin rice)
Adjust the consistency of gravy according to your taste. The gravy should be thick but not heavy.
Add your favourite vegetables like cauliflower or green peas.
Store the curried flax seeds powder in refrigerator and add to gravies or curries as required.(instead of cashew paste)