Chickpeas are in my good food list! I eat them a lot. Chickpea curry is very popular dish in northern India. There are so many versions of it. Here goes mine….. Hope you guys try this one at home!
Serves 2 persons
1 bowl chickpeas (kabuli chana)
1 big onion(chopped)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Dry spices: 3/4 tsp coriander powder, 3/4 cumin powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 3/4 tsp red chilly powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 dry mango powder(aamchur)
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp sugar
11/2 tbsp oil
water or vegetable stock
Fresh chopped coriander for garnish
- Soak chickpeas overnight. Pressure cook chickpeas with bayleaf and 1/2 tsp salt for 4-5 whistles or cook in closed vessel for over 30-45 minutes. Remove bayleaf and drain the water.
- Heat oil in pan. Add cumin and ginger-garlic paste. Add onions. Saute till soft. Add tomatoes and sugar. Cook till soft.
- Add all dry spices. Mix it. Cook for a minute. Add 1 cup of stock. Add salt and put chickpeas in it.
- Close the lid and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with parathas and dash of lemon!