One more one dish meal from my library of comfort food. I eat this when I ‘m unwell, in bad mood, no time kind of situations! It is perfect for anyone. It has perfect balance of protein(lentils) and carbohydrates(rice) and minerals(vegetables). A wholesome and complete meal which is easily digested.
It’s a kind of indian rissoto! The main difference is that the stock or water is not infused into rice slowly but it is actually cooked with water , lentils, vegetables and spices! It has creamy texture because of rice and lentils. Tastes yummy ,easy to prepare and healthy to eat.
Serves 2 persons
1/2 cup rice(washed)
1/4 cup tuvar dal (yellow pigeon peas)
1/4 cup moong dal(green gram)
1 carrot (cut in medium sized pieces)
1 tomato(cut in medium sized pieces)
1 potato(cut in medium sized pieces)
10-15 french beans(chopped)
1/4 cup peas
1/2 cauliflower pieces
2 green chillies
7-8 curry leaves
4-5 garlic cloves, 1/2 inch ginger(chopped)
2 tbsp peanuts
1 tbsp butter or ghee, 1 tbsp sunflower oil
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Dry spices: 1 tsp coriander powder, 3/4 tsp red chilly powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 1/2 cups of vegetable stock or water
Coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash and soak lentils(dals) and rice togather for 30 minutes.
- Take pressure cooker or wide-mouthed deep vessel. Heat oil and butter in it. Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add garlic, cumin, Green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida,chopped ginger and onions. Saute till onions are soft.
- Now add all the vegetables and peanuts. Add salt , turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute for few minutes. Add rice and lentils(daals). Mix it.
- Taste the water. It should be balanced (this is important here) with salt and spices.
- Add 21/2 cups of stock or water. Allow it boil and pressure cook it for 3 whitsles or cook in closed vessel for 15-25 minutes. Keep checking the lentils. Once lentils are soft , put off the heat.
- Serve with a bowl of yogurt!
Note:This dish should be creamy because of of rice and lentils. It should not be dry like pulao(pilaf) but should be moist. Yet ,you should be able to see the grains clearly!
After putting off the heat, please allow it to rest for 3-4 minutes!