No matter how much I prepare fancy food, my stomach is satisfied with my comfort food, daal-rice. Some dishes are best when they are served as simple as possible.
There is nothing fancy about daal (dahl) tadka. It is just no non-sense food! Dash of lemon juice and onion at the side and some jeera rice(cumin rice) to go with it. It is one of the most famous Indian dish.
Jeera rice is cumin flavoured rice. Wonders , a little spice cumin can do!
Serves 2 persons
For daal tadka
1 cup tuvar daal(split pigeon peas )
1/4 cup moong dal(Split Green Gram)
1 inch ginger
8 garlic cloves
2 green chillies
1 tsp cumin(jeera)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida
6-7 curry leaves
3/4 tsp red chilly powder
2 red chillies
1/2 tbsp ghee(clarified butter)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
For jeera rice (cumin rice)
1 tsp ghee(clarified butter)
1 tbsp jeera(cumin)
1 bowl of basmati rice
2 bowl water
Sliced onions and lemon
For dal tadka
- Wash both both the lentils(daals) and soak togather for 20 minutes.Pressure cook lentils(daals) with green chillies, ginger and 4 cloves of garlic in almost two cups of water. If you don’t have pressure cooker, You can cook them in clossed vessel till they become soft(15-20 minutes approx.). Open cooker and remove ginger and chillies. Mash lentils and garlic. Add salt and coriander leaves and mix. Take in serving bowl.
- Take a small pan for tempering. For tempering, Heat oil in pan(low heat), Put remaining garlic cloves and mustard seeds. Allow Mustard seeds to splutter(this is important). Then add cumin, curry leaves, red chillies, asafoetida and at last red chilly powder and put off the heat immediately.Take care no ingredient in tempering should burn.
- Immediately pour the tempering over daal gently and close lid for half a minute. Then mix it. Serve with jeera rice(cumin rice)
For jeera rice(cumin rice)
- Wash and soak rice for 15-20 minutes.
- In pressure cooker or wide vessel, heat ghee(clarified butter). Add jeera(cumin) and mix. Don’t let cumin to go black(burnt).Add rice and mix.After a minute,pour water.Pressure cook for 2 whitles or cook for 15 minutes in clossed vessel with occasional stirring.
Serve really hot with daal, lemon and onions!