Some combinations are so simple and so amazing that I don’t dare to change them. Puris with potato curry is one such combo! Yes whole wheat and rice is staple food for most of indians! Whole wheat is used for prepare rotis (indian flat bread) which are healthy and perfect for lunch and dinner. Parathas are the whole wheat breads stuffed with vegetables or spices or both. Puris are simple whole wheat bread which are deep fried (an occasional lunch or breakfast!)
Puri and aloo bhaji( indian fried bread with potato curry) is inexpensive and tasty dish. And so it is often served as packed lunch in trains, local restaurants or as street food!
I have used my mum trick to prepare puff puris by adding rava(semolina).Prepare and have this yummy breakfast with entire family to make it double yummy!
Serves 2 persons
2 Cups whole wheat flour
water to prepare dough
3 tbsp rava (semolina)
1/2 tsp salt
Oil to deep fry
For aloo bhaji (potato curry)
2 medium sized potato (cut in small pieces)
2 big tomatoes( cut in cubes)
1 chopped onion
1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
5 -6 garlic cloves (grated)
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp dry coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp oil
Coriander leaves to garnish
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- In a bowl mix rava(semolina) with water and salt and keep a side for 15 minutes. (Use this tip to make puris remain puffed until you poke it yourself)
- Add the rava mixture to wheat flour. Now, with the help of water prepare dough of whole wheat flour. Do not prepare a soft dough. The dough should be hard and prepared with minumum water. The less water , cruchy and fluffy the puris are! ( Do not knead the dough like rotis)
- Prepare equal size balls from dough. Roll out each of them into thin ,circular, even puris with the help of oil or flour.
- Deep fry each of them in hot oil till golden brown. Serve hot with curry.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker or a deep vessel. Add mustard seeds and allow them splutter. Add cumin, asafoetida, onions and pinch of salt. Cook till onions are soft.
- Add turmeric powder and tomatoes. Saute for roughly 1 minute. Add little water if needed.
- Add dry spices, coriander powder, cumin powder, chilly powder and garam masala. Mix it.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water. Add salt. Pressure cook upto 1 whitle or cook in pan till potatoes are soft.