Rajma (red kidney beans) is considered very healthy but many of us dont particularly like it. I too didnt like it until my mum prepared it in different way on one fine day. I enjoy it with steamed rice or jeera rice. It is one of the most popular curry in north India.
feeds : 4 persons
1 bowl rajma (red kidney beans)
1 small chopped onion
1 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp jeera (cumin) powder
1/2 aamchur powder (dry mango powder)
1/2 tsp dhaniya powder( dry coriander powder)
1tsp ginger-garlic paste
a pinch of asafoetida( hing powder)
1/2 tsp jeera
1/4 tsp haldi(turmeric) powder
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves( cilantro)
1 tbsp fresh cream or grated cheeese
2 tbsp oil
For tomato puree
4 ripe tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
- Wash and soak rajma overnight
- Pressure cook rajma with little salt for about 4 whitles or till soft. Mash 1/4 part of rajma with hand and keep aside.
- wash tomatoes and keep all tomatoes in boiling water for about 2-3 mins. remove tomatoesand peel off the skin. Grind them with sugar to form tomato puree.
- Take a flat bottomed non stick pan. Heat oil in it. put jeera, ginger-garlic paste, hing and mix properly. Add chopped onion and fry till soft. Add haldi, dhaniya, jeera, aamchur and chilly powder. Mix well. take care that they dont get burn. Add little water if necessary. stir for a minute.
- Add tomato puree and stir for about 3 mins or till oil can just be seen above vaguely.
- Add mashed rajma and half cup of water. Season it with salt and cook for about a minute.
- Add remaining rajma and little water if needed. cook for 2 mis. garnish it with chopped coriander and cream or cheese and serve hot.
If you want saag to be of thick gravy consistancy then just add more cream at the end and cook for just a minute.