No south indian kitchen is complete without dosa! I am in a hurry to go and have my special masala dosa with loads of ghee! So without much talking, here goes the recipe….
For dosa batter, go here
For red onion chutney
4 medium sized onions (finely sliced)
2 tsp red chilly powder( spicy chilly)
1 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tbsp oil
- Take a non-stick pan. heat oil in it.Put onions and salt
- Fry onions till pink and add tamarind pulp and chilly powder
- Fry for minute and take it out in a clean dish. Allow it to cool.
- Grind it to course paste.
For dry potato curry
Feeds 4 persons
2 large potatoes (boiled and roughly cut)
2 onions (sliced)
3-5 chopped green chillies
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp gingerr garlic paste
8-9 curry leaves
1/2 mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp chanadal
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in pan. Put mustard seeds and allow them pop & crackle. Add chanadal, cumin & curry leaves. Mix for about 30 secs. Add ginger-garlic paste, sliced onions and salt. Saute till onions are tender.
- Add turmeric powder and potato. Mix thoroughly. Add coriander.
1 cup fresh coconut (cut in small cubes)pieces
4 green chilles
5-6 fresh pudina (mint) leaves (optional)
5-6 curry leaves
little fresh coriander
1/2 tsp fresh chopped ginger
1/2 tsp mustard+cumin seeds
1/2 tsp chana dal+urad dal
1 dry red chilly
a pinch of hing
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oil
- Grind coconut , green chilly , pudina, coriander, salt, sugar, ginger with little water( may be 2 tbsp).
- For seasoning, heat oil in small pan, add chana+ urad dal and mix it. Add musturd+cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add curry leaves, hing and red chilly at last. Allow this tempering to cool down and pour it over coconut chuteny and mix well.
Do not store this chutney in refrigerator. prepare fresh and eat fresh
If the chutney has become too thin to serve , add a tsp or two of putani and grind . It wont change taste of chutney.
For masala dosa
- Take pan , heat it. grease it with little oil, pour a cup of batter and spread it in circular motion to form thin layer.( crisp dosa)
- Increase heat and sprinkle few drops of ghee over it .
- Spread the red onion chutney even on dosa and place 1 big spoon of dry potato curry on it.
- wait till browning of dosa starts. roll the dosa carefully. serve it hot with chutney.
- You can use ghee, oil or home made butter .