Dosas are served with various accompaniments like red onion chutney, white coconut chutney, yellow potato curry, brown peanut chutney , fried gram(putani) chutney and ofcourse sambar. Yes they all are colourful and yummy!
Red onion chutney is mostly just spread on dosa with ghee( indian clarified butter) while preparing itself and rolled and served. This chutney is essentially spicy and served in less quantity.
Coconut chutney has many versions. you can add favourite flavour to it like few pudina leaves or a pinch of asfoetida(hing)
Potato curry for dosa is little different from normal one. onions are cut long and used in little more in quantity.
peanut chutney has not got its due in restaurants because of its high caloric value. But, this is perfect for sunday brunch, or for me any day!
Putani chutney or roasted gram chutney is rather easiest and a friend for weight watchers! It is light and can be prepared within no time.
Roasted onion chutney
4 medium sized onions (finely sliced)
2 tsp red chilly powder( spicy chilly)
1 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tbsp oil
- Take a non-stick pan. Heat oil in it.Put onions and salt
- Fry onions till they are pink and add tamarind pulp and chilly powder
- Fry for minute and take in a clean dish. Allow it to cool.
- Blend it to form coarse mixture.
- Spread on dosa with a spoon when it is on pan with little ghee and roll it hot and serve with your favorite chutney.
This chutney adds taste to dosa. Be careful while spreading, else it can make dosa over spicy.
This chutney can stored for a day in refrigerator.
1 cup fresh coconut (cut in small cubes)pieces
4 green chilles
5-6 fresh pudina (mint) leaves (optional)
5-6 curry leaves
little fresh coriander
1/2 tsp fresh chopped ginger
1/2 tsp mustard+cumin seeds
1/2 tsp chana dal+urad dal (bengal gram+black gram)
1 dry red chilly
a pinch of hing
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oil
- Blend coconut , green chilly , pudina (mint), coriander, salt, sugar, ginger with little water( may be 2 tbsp).
- For seasoning, heat oil in small pan, add chana+ urad dal and mix it. Add musturd+cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add curry leaves, hing and red chilly at last. Allow this tempering to cool down and pour it over coconut chuteny and mix well.
Do not store this chutney in refrigerator. prepare fresh and eat fresh
If the chutney has become too thin to serve , add a tsp or two of putani and grind . It wont change taste of chutney.