one of the healthy, easy and quick breakfast on indian table!you love or hate it , you just cant avoid. But it has its unhealthy versions also. It really depends on how you cook to call it healthy or unhealthy(this is not applicable to upma only). I remember an incident where i had been to a very famous udupi restaurent in small town in andhra pradesh. As i was in hurry, i ordered upma for breakfast. After just two bites, i felt that it was quite heavy and greasy. My mum informed me that it was because of use of dalda and ghee. Before this , i had never tasted upma in a restaurant as it is a regular breakfast in our home. And soon i realised, how my mum prepared healthy versions of each and every so called “unhealthy foods” and really took care of our health over the years. so here is thumbs up for all mums in the world!! I know , i am deviating from the recipe. so here goes the recipe…
1 bowl of bombay rava( semolina)
1 small chopped onion
1 small chopped tomato
half cup par-boiled peas
half cup chopped and par-boiled carrot(optional)
6-7 curry leaves
2 chopped green chillies
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
2 tbsp chopped cilantro(coriander leaves)
1 tbsp grated coconut( optional)
1 tbsp chana dal+ urad dal (bengal gram+ split black gram)
1 tbsp sugar(optional)
1 small lemon
11/2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard+cumin seeds
2 bowls of hot water
- Take a small sized deep vessel and heat it. Dry roast rava( semolina) for 5 mins.Be careful of over roasting it.Remove rava in dry plate.
- Put oil in same vessel.Put chana and urad dal.Add mustard and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter. Add chillies, ginger,onion and fry properly.
- Add tomato and fry 4 a minute. Add peas and carrot.
- Add water and salt and stir. Allow it to come to boiling point.
- slowly put rava in boiling water.Turn the heat to minimum. Mix properly so that lumps are not formed.After a minute put off the heat and close the lid for 3-4 mins.
- Add lemon juice to it and garnish with coriander and grated coconut.serve hot.
Note: roast rava so that lumps are not formed. you can dry roast rava and keep it in dry container and use when required.